3.23.2006

Two fantastic web 2.0 like resources

I found two fantastic resources that perhaps leverage a bit of the style of web 2.0 today.

The first is ArchiveGrid, an integrated location to search across historical archives. The archives it searches are in the thousands, including major ones like the American Philosophical Society, Johns Hopkins university, Yale University and so on. I did a few test searches of archives I'm familiar with using people's names and it found them just fine (also a new series of papers I wasn't previously familiar with!). This is invalubale.

The second is CiteULike, a web-based service to organise your papers and citations. I already use EndNote, the well-known citation library software and have the library on a jump drive so it travels with me. What's interesting about CiteULike though is that it is a web-based service that integrates with the major online providers of journals (JSTOR, Ingenta, etc.). I still have to see if this service will be useful enough (currently you can export to EndNote but not import from it). You can share your articles with others, or see what others are reading.

Both are free, though ArchiveGrid may go pay if they don't get funding after May.

No comments: